Phi Gamma Delta's Heraldic Insignia - 1879 Coat of Arms

Primary tabs

At the October 17-18, 1878 Convention held in Indianapolis, Indiana, a committee on the Coat of Arms was charged with developing a recommendation for a Fraternity Coat of Arms and report back to the Grand Chapter in New York City. 

This report was made on November 30, 1878 by members of the committee. Many of the features of the first coat of arms are visible on the modern coat of arms., 1879 Coat of Arms

The 1878 convention appointed J. S. Battell, T. W. Weeks, and Frank Keck to recommend heraldic insignia for Phi Gamma Delta. The 1879 convention in Cleveland adopted a Coat of Arms and an open motto to accompany same:

Arms: A shield, gold, bearing three roses red, crossed by a chevron purple, bearing three stars silver.
Crest: An owl.
Motto: (in Greek letters) - "Philotes, Glukutate, Dunasteia."
Abstract/Description: At the October 17-18, 1878 Convention held in Indianapolis, Indiana, a committee on the Coat of Arms was charged with developing a recommendation for a Fraternity Coat of Arms and report back to the Grand Chapter in New York City.

This report was made on November 30, 1878 by members of the committee. Many of the features of the first coat of arms are visible on the modern coat of arms.

Subject(s): Greater Phi Gamma Delta